What nationality is the name jurkiewicz?
Jurkiewicz is a Polish surname, which is derived from the given name Jurek, a form of the Greek name Georgios. The name may refer to: Anna Jurkiewicz (born 1984), Polish figure skater.
What does Vel mean in Polish name?
ii. Surnames with “vel” are very rare in Polish names. The conjunction “vel” means “or” in Latin and in conjunction with the name means “also known as.”
When were surnames introduced in Poland?
They appeared only in the second half of the 18th century in Polish legal notation as an element of identification and were introduced and made obligatory by the invaders Prussia, Russia and Austria.
What does the Polish suffix WICZ mean?
“-witz” in this case is not the German word for wit/joke, but is a German variation on a Slavic suffix “-vich,” “-vic,” “-wits,” “-witz,” or “-wicz” (-wicz being a Polish variation) meaning “son of,” “child of,” “family of,” “clan of,” etc.
How do you pronounce jurkiewicz?
- Phonetic spelling of Jurkiewicz. jur-ki-wick. ju-rkiewicz.
- Meanings for Jurkiewicz. A former Polish handball player who played for the PGE Vive Kielce team as a center back.
- Examples of in a sentence. Jurkiewicz, Sandra. …
- Translations of Jurkiewicz. Russian : Юркевич
What is the most common surname in Poland?
The Most Common Surnames in Poland
- KOWALSKA / KOWALSKI. 137,981.
- WIŚNIEWSKA / WIŚNIEWSKI. 109,896.
- WÓJCIK. 99,098.
- KOWALCZYK. 97,537.
- KAMIŃSKA / KAMIŃSKI. 94,829.
- LEWANDOWSKA / LEWANDOWSKI. 92,903.
- ZIELIŃSKA / ZIELIŃSKI. 90,658.
- SZYMAŃSKA / SZYMAŃSKI. 88,381.
What is the most common name in Poland?
Top 10 names in Poland 2021
|1||Antoni||Zuzanna / Julia|