What was the process for joining the military in Canada for WW2 and what are the different associated records?

How did Canada recruit soldiers in ww2?

Canada had more than one million volunteers join the military in the Second World War. In 1940, Canada adopted conscription for home service with the National Resources Mobilization Act, which allowed the government to put men and women into jobs considered essential for the war.

How do I get my Canadian ww2 service records?

All First World War records are open on Library and Archives Canada website. Search records of those who died in service between 1939 and 1947, including those killed in action, those who subsequently died of injuries related to service, and those who died as a result of accident or illness while in service.

How do I find World War 2 military records?

You can find veterans’ military service records from World War I to the present from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). The NPRC houses many types of records, including Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF).

How old did you have to be to fight in ww2 in Canada?

It made all male citizens aged 20 to 45 subject to call-up for military service, through the end of the war.

Was there a draft in Canada?

There is at present no conscription in Canada. Conscription was implemented in Canada during the First and Second World Wars for men of military age and fitness.

Was there a draft in Canada for world war 2?

The Conscription Crisis of 1944 was a political and military crisis following the introduction of forced military service for men in Canada during World War II. It was similar to the Conscription Crisis of 1917, but not as politically damaging.

Are ww2 service records available?

World War 2 Records UK

United Kingdom World War service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence as they remain confidential. You may apply for a copy if you are the next-of-kin of a service person who has died. Application forms are available online.

How do I obtain my military records?

You can apply for either: your own service records if you are, or have been, a member of the armed forces.
You can also search:

  1. the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.
  2. the Armed Forces Memorial roll of honour.
  3. the National Archives.

Related Post