Its mission is to provide the New York metropolitan area with military installation support for the Army National Guard and the United States Army Reserve.
|Controlled by||United States Army|
|Open to the public||partly|
What military forts are in New York?
New York Military Bases Locations
- Fort Drum Army Base. Located in the beautiful Thousand Islands region of northern New York is the Fort Drum Army base. …
- Fort Hamilton Army Base. …
- U.S. Military Academy Army Base. …
- NSA Saratoga Springs. …
- Watervliet Arsenal Army Base.
Is there military presence in New York City?
Historic Fort Hamilton is the only active duty military installation in the greater New York City Metropolitan Area. Fort Hamilton is located near the eastern base of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge in the southern west corner of Brooklyn New York in Kings County.
What military bases are in New York?
New York Military Bases
- Fort Drum Army Base in Jefferson, NY. Jefferson, New York Military Bases. …
- Fort Hamilton Army Base in Brooklyn, NY. Brooklyn, New York Military Bases. …
- Us Military Academy Army Base in West Point, NY. West Point, New York Military Bases. …
- Watervilet Arsenal Army Base in Watervilet, NY.
What is Fort Drum famous for?
On Feb. 13, 1985, the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) was officially reactivated at Fort Drum. It was the first division of any kind formed by the Army since 1975 and the first based in the Northeast since World War II. Since then, it has been one of the most deployed units in the U.S. Army.
Is Fort Drum still open?
Today, nearly 20,000 Soldiers call Fort Drum home, and the base is the largest employer in the region.
Where is the barracks in NYC?
British barracks were built in today’s City Hall park – adjacent to the Almshouse, Bridewell, and Gaol.
How many soldiers are at Fort Drum?
More than 15,000 military service members and about 3,700 civilian personnel (including contractors) work at Fort Drum, with about 15,000 Family Members living on post or in the local area.