Once the decision has been made to reconnect, here are some pointers from those with experience about making the initial contact and the first meeting work well.
- Initiate Contact Indirectly.
- Be Realistic.
- Start Fresh.
- Don’t Bash Each Other.
- Keep It Short and Simple.
- Be Prepared to Apologize.
- Be Open to a New Relationship.
How do you approach a biological family?
Best Practices for Connecting with Birth Family via DNA Search
- Before you start, do your homework. …
- Maintain some of your confidentiality. …
- If you are a birth parent, consider sharing your story now. …
- If at all possible, reach out directly to your birth parent. …
- For more information.
How do you introduce yourself to a biological parent?
Introduce yourself by giving your birth name, date of birth, location, and why you are reaching out. Send your letter in a greeting card. Do not send by certified or registered mail. This will bring too much attention to the letter.
What do you say to an estranged father?
Plan What You’ll Say
- “I know we haven’t had any contact for a long time. But I’d like to change that.”
- “I am sure hearing from me is a bit of a surprise, but I’m hoping we can have a conversation.”
- “I’ve missed having you in my life. I’m hoping we can get together for coffee and talk.”
Should I contact biological father?
It is important that you assure him that if none of his family know about you, and he can’t or won’t tell them about you, then you will be satisfied with a letter, a secret meeting, or a telephone call. However, you can certainly add that you would like to meet his family, if that is possible.
What do you say to a new found relative?
Gently explain your reasons for searching and why getting answers to your questions means so much to you. Briefly explain how the amount of DNA you share points to a specific parent-child or sibling relationship. Do not say that you expect an ongoing relationship. Focus on the reasonable answers you seek.
How do you approach a long lost family?
In general, it is best to take things slow when contacting relatives who do not know you. Don’t make your first connection a rushed story about what may have been a scandal at the time it occurred. Instead, be friendly. Let the long lost relative know your DNA test matched the two of you.
How do I connect with my biological father?
If you wish to connect with your biological family or determine an unknown parent, consider taking an autosomal DNA test. An autosomal DNA test can be taken by males or females and may provide you with DNA matches within 5 to 6 generations on both your biological mother and father’s sides of the family.
How do I write a letter to my biological father?
- 1 Start the letter. Start the letter by explaining to your biological father who you are. …
- 2 Consider very carefully you. Consider very carefully what you would like to say in the letter. …
- 3 Get out you. Get out what you need to say. …
- 4 Say something positive. …
- 5 Close the letter by telling your biological father.