When citing a birth or death record, record 1) type of record and name(s) of the individual(s), 2) the file or certificate number (or book and page) and 3) name and location of the office in which it is filed (or the repository in which the copy was found – e.g. archives).
How do I cite a family history book?
Ideal format: 1. Author(s), Title (Place of publication: Publisher, year of publication), volume: page number(s), [book call number; microfilm call number]. Digitized by Repository at URL (accessed date).
How do you cite sources in a reference?
Include information in the following order:
- author (the person or organisation responsible for the site)
- year (date created or last updated)
- name of sponsor of site (if available)
- accessed day month year (the date you viewed the site)
- URL or Internet address (between pointed brackets).
What is the difference between a source and a citation in genealogy?
A source is the record used in locating information. Sound genealogy research is built on a variety of sources. A citation is a notation that connects the source to your research and supports any conclusions made.
How do you cite a family tree on Ancestry?
EE’s reference-note citation to the tree you are using would be this: 1. “Public Member Trees,” database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed ), “Cowan Mulliner Woodruff Kerr” family tree by Crista Cowan, profile for Richard Ridgway (1679-1718, d.
What citation style is used for genealogy?
The Chicago Manual of Style
One citation style used by genealogical and historical researchers is Evidence Style, developed by Elizabeth Shown Mills. It is an extension of the notes/bibliography system from The Chicago Manual of Style.
How do you document genealogy research?
Good documentation includes:
- Research logs—Fill in the purpose of each search, and source data on logs before looking at the source. …
- Family group records—Keep up-to-date with source footnotes for every event. …
- Photocopies of most sources—If the repository will allow it, ALWAYS make a photocopy.
How do you reference examples?
Reference structure and example: Author Surname, Initials. (Publication Year) ‘Article title’, Journal Name, Volume(Issue), Page(s). Available at: URL or DOI (Accessed: date).
How do you reference a book?
- Author – as written on the title page of the book.
- Title and any subtitle as written on the title page.
- Number of volumes.
- Details of publication – place of publication, publisher and date of publication.
- Volume number.
- Page number(s) of reference.