Finding US marine ancestor without knowing birthdate?

How do you find out what your ancestors did in the military?

Begin your research with family and home sources. You may already know of ancestors who were in the military. You may find evidence that an ancestor served in the military from family traditions, census records, naturalization records, biographies, cemetery records, or records of veterans organizations.

Is there a way to look up Marines?

To locate Marines, a Social Security Number may be required. Base locators are also available at all major USMC commands. You may also contact them by phone at 1-866-771-6357. You can also call the locator service for more information at 1-901-874-3388.

How do I find out if my grandfather was in the military?

You can request a copy of the Veteran’s military records in any of these ways:

  1. Mail or fax a Request Pertaining to Military Records (Standard Form SF 180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). …
  2. Write a letter to the NPRC. …
  3. Visit the NPRC in person.
  4. Contact your state or county Veterans agency.

How can I find where my grandfather served in WWII?

Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records.

Can you look up military records for free?

Request Recent Military Records (World War I – Present)

Most requests are free.

Can I look up someone’s military record?

Please use the Defense Manpower Data Center’s (DMDC) Military Verification service to verify if someone is in the military. The website will tell you if the person is currently serving in the military. The site is available 24-hours a day.

Are marine records public?

Access to Records, Information for the General Public:

Without the consent of the veteran or next-of-kin, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to the general public.

How do I find old Marine records?

A former Marine may request a copy of his/her records directly from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by writing:

  1. National Personnel Records Center. 1 Archives Drive. …
  2. Director. Navy Personnel Command Pers-312D2. …
  3. Headquarters US Marine Corps. …
  4. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Related Post