Finding records in the place of origin of an immigrant to Canada & USA from Poland?

Where can I find immigration records in Canada?

Library and Archives Canada

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) holds the Canadian immigration records for the years 1865 to 1935. The passenger lists are the sole surviving official records of the arrival of the majority of people accepted as immigrants in Canada.

How do I look up immigration records?

Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIA)

Use our online FOIA system to request your own immigration record, another person’s immigration record, or non-A-File information such as policies, data, or communications.

How long are immigration records kept in Canada?

According to the Citizenship Retention and Disposition Schedule, records relating to an individual’s application for citizenship (including personal information collected) are to be retained for a minimum period of 150 years.

Does Canada share immigration information?

Under the Treaty, information will not be shared on Canadian or U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Are immigration records public?

The USCIS arrival records and A-Files are available through the USCIS Freedom of Information Act Program (FOIA).

What nationality are the immigrants in 1883?

Meanwhile, the bulk of the immigrants seems to be from Germany. Josef is German and communicates in his language, which most immigrants properly understand. As a consequence of the immigrants’ selection of Josef as their commander, it’s fair to conclude they’re Germans.

How do I get my immigration records from ancestry?


  1. From any page on Ancestry, click the Search tab and select Card Catalog.
  2. On the left side of the page under Filter By Category, select Immigration & Emigration.
  3. Narrow your search clicking another filter under Filter By Category.

How do I find my ancestors naturalization papers?

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)–After 1906, a copy of all naturalization records were sent to the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS, now called the USCIS. You may access their records through the Genealogy Program. Their website is

Related Post