Are birth records public in NY?
Restrictions. Birth records can only be released to the person themselves once they are 18 years old, a parent listed on the birth record, a lawful representative or by court order. Birth records are not public records and New York State Public Health law protects their confidential nature.
How do I find birth records in NYC?
Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) if you are calling from outside NYC. You can also email the Office of Vital Records Services at [email protected]
Is there a way to look up when someone was born?
Places to Look for Birth Information
- Family records including Family Bibles and personal histories.
- Birth records including city and county civil registrations.
- Death records often contain birth information.
- Marriage records.
- Census records sometimes give ages and in some records tell the month and year of birth.
Are death certificates public Record New York City?
The State Department of Health makes available for public use microfiche copies of older indexes to birth, marriage, and death certificates. The indexes cover the entire state outside of New York City and start in June 1880 (deaths) or 1881 (marriages and births).
How do I find an old obituary in New York?
You can search for death certificates and other official government records through NY.gov. While there are limitations to statewide resources, the local options for genealogical searches as well as obituary data are plentiful, and you should be able to find what you’re looking for with a little time and effort!
Are NY marriage records public?
All about NYC marriage records. New York City marriage records that are more than fifty years old are considered to be public documents, and all basic marriage index files are open to the public without any year restrictions.
How do I find my birth parents in NYC?
The New York State Health Department’s Adoption Registry can help and even facilitate a reunion. The New York State Department of Health Adoption Information Registry is the only official registry for people born or adopted in New York State. We are the only registry authorized to access sealed information.
How do I get my parents birth certificate in NY?
Refer to this step by step process to order a birth certificate:
- Gather the necessary identifying information (See list below)
- Complete the application online, by telephone or by mail.
- Pay the required fees with credit card (internet only), check drawn from a U.S. bank or with a money order – DO NOT send cash.